Our hotel can be found in the vicinity of Zsóry Gyógy- és Strandfürdõ lying at 4 km from the centre of Mezõkövesd.
Mezõkövesd is looking forward to visitors coming here with the aim of recreation, refreshment and healing. You can acquire more detailed information on the services of the Medicinal Bath and Spa on the website of the bath: www.zsory-furdo.hu The town offers multicolour programmes to tourists: cultural events, festivals, gastronomic enjoyment, sport, entertainment. In addition to our nationally and internationally recognised folk-art traditions and places of interest, our town has an abundance of spots of interest of which and of the history of our town you can read more...
Mezõkövesd - Places of interest, attractions
Mezõkövesd lies at the southern feet of Bükk Mountains, at the meeting point of the Great Hungarian Plain and Northern Medium Mountains.
Motorway M3, national road no. 3 and the Budapest-Miskolc-Kassa main train service go by here.It belongs to the outstanding resort zone of Mátra-Bükk.Its number of citizens is 17 thousand.
It is the economic, cultural and transportation centre of the region. More and more people have selected Mezõkövesd, the town called as „The Heart of Matyó Land” with the aim of recreation, holiday, healing and entertainment for several decades.
The beauty of the landscape of Bükkalja, the natural features of Mezõkövesd – its medicinal bath, spa, clean air, position – rightly attracted, have attracted visitors longing for holiday and recreation.
In addition to the visitors coming here with the aim of recreation, refreshment, Mezõkövesd is looking forward to people that long for healing and several hundreds of visitors can enjoy the beneficial effect of the medicinal water every year.
The town offers multicolour programmes to tourists all the year long: cultural events, festivals, gastronomic enjoyment, sport, entertainment.
Mezõkövesd is an open town, with the spirit of hospitality where both the citizens and the visitors coming here can feel very well.
The places of interest of our town
The town walk is worth starting at the town hall, and the Tourinform office is placed in a patinated former building, at Szent László tér. The unique furnishing has been made by local folk decorative artists. On the floor the periodical expositions of the Town Gallery and the school-history collection can be seen. In front of the Gallery there is the bust of King Mátyás ("Mathias") that gave the agricultural town rank to Mezõkövesd in 1464 because the town helped him in the battles against the Hussites.
Walking around the square, the statue of the patron saint is accepting the visitor in front of the Szent László Church. The frescos of the Maria chapel of Szent László church represent a real cultural-history value in addition to their church-art quality. They eternize the folk costumes of both sexes and all age-groups of the Matyó people.
The big hall on the first floor of the Community House is the place of temporary expositions, for example the prize-winning works of the Kisjankó Bori Embroidery Competition organised every year. The group of monument statues found in the park of the square was erected upon the order of the citizens of Mezõkövesd to express their gratitude to God that the pest stopped at the time of the realm of Maria Theresa (1778).
Continuing, the other big block of buildings on the square is the former Korona Szálló (Crown Hotel) then the headquarters of the Matyó Népmûvészeti Szövetkezet (Matyó Folk Art Cooperative). The Matyó Museum moved here after the renewal and reconstruction in the autumn of 2004 where it can receive the visitors at a rightful place and with a much richer exposition. In front of the building there is the bust of the most popular "drawing woman", pattern designer, Kisjankó Bori.
Walking to the other side of the square - that is called already Hõsök tere - you can quench your thirst from the statue well. There is the primary school built on the place of the former synagogue, on the wall of which there are folk-art-inspired brown shapes, is one of the special buildings of the square. The statue of the seasonal worker memorialises the people that undertook seasonal agricultural work that used to mean subsistence of the town dwellers. In 1956 the Soviet troops blew away the tower of the cathedral and they also killed several civil citizens, an affianced couple as well. The marble monument was made in order to commemorate them with the model of the church blown away on the top. Another work on the public area is the huge obelisk erected at the one hundred year anniversary of the war of liberation of years 1848 and 1849.
Turning left at the end of the square, you can see the thatched roofs of Hadas town part. During the walk you can see the exposition houses of Kovács Szabolcs furniture painter then the embroiderer and after that Petõ Anna honey-cake maker. The House of Folk Arts was built here, which is the home of the Matyó Folk Dance Group, the place for their rehearsals, handcraft workshops and camps. In the nearby Dancing Barn, the guests can participate in the programmes of the Matyó Wedding. The former house of Kisjankó Bori can be considered as the spiritual centre of the part of the town
Opposite to the memorial house, you can purchase Matyó embroidery in the Tulipános Hímzõmûhely ("Tulip Embroidery Workshop") while in the other houses gifts and souvenirs can be purchased which are in harmony with the place in question. By walking further in Mogyoróköz, the next place is the Doll House. The workshop of the engraver can be visited freely opposite the pole-well. The workshop of the potter can be found at the address of Kisjankó Bori út 38
Near the house, we arrive to Eötvös út where after taking 150 metres on the right, a high wind-wheel can be seen which means also that we have arrived to the Mezõgazdasági Gépmúzeum (Museum of Agricultural Machines).
The former mortuary of the graveyard found near the road going toward Bogács was built in the 1880's. When walking in the shady graveyard, you can find gravestones coming from the time of the war of liberation of years 1848 and 1849 and one of the two columns marking the border of the former Turkish empire can be found in the graveyard as well.
When driving on Mátyás király út - crossing the town - toward Budapest the aesthetically modern, the new two-tower church of Jézus Szíve plébánia (Parish of the Heart of Jesus) can be found in the Millennium Memorial Park that rounds Kavicsos Lake. The church was consecrated in 2001.
Not far from there, an organ museum is planned in the building of the former church, the walls of which are decorated by Takács frescos. In the little park in front of the former church there is the monument erected to commemorate the people that died or that were deported in the two world wars.
The folk art traditions of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County are outstanding as well. In Hungary there are only a few people that have not heard about the Matyó, the Matyó embroidery, wedding and the folk customs connected to the Matyó people. The "capital" of Matyó Land is Mezõkövesd, its citizens, together with the folks of Szentistván and Tard, are called Matyó. By their colourful folk costumes, famous folk art, life closed into traditions, they form a special ethnographic unit.
The region has acquired its national, moreover, international fame by its colourful folk costumes and freely drawn embroideries. At the start, the end of bed sheets were embroidered, the simple cotton embroideries were made with red and blue mat yarns. Later the fluttering sleeves of the unmarried men were decorated by embroidery then the bottom of the narrow apron for either women or men was decorated by embroidery. This was called "surc".
After the regular bird motives, completely other kinds of bed sheet ends came with Matyó roses. The motives and colours of fur-dresser embroider had a decisive influence on the evolution of the Matyó decorating art. Later, there was a change to using multicolour yarns. Such embroideries, rich in shapes, blooming with wonderful colour harmony were created by the fantasy of uneducated "writer" (drawing) women. They stylised and drew the flowers of the meadow and the garden by instinctive artistic skills.
The new-peasant folk art bloomed in the Reform Age and the colourful Matyó embroidery bloomed in the 1860-1870's. At that time the decorative room, with decorated furnishing, painted furniture, glazed plates hung on the walls, earthen pots and highly arranged decorative room became general in the village houses. The Matyó embroidery and folk costumes have been Hungaricums since 2002.
In the life of Mezõkövesd gastronomy is very important and considerable, which is owing to mainly its regional and climatic conditions. Its special dishes and drinks have been connected to traditions feeding from elder days until today. On the wine-growing region of Bükkalja grape growing has had an old tradition. The wine of Miskolc has been famous for centuries, which has been ripened in excellent Avas caves that were covered with thick noble mould - similarly to those in Tokaj.
It includes the hill sides in the line of the south-eastern slopes of the Bükk Mountains, between Mezõkövesd and Miskolc, which are planted with grapes. Its surface area is 2700 ha. Its climatic conditions are favourable to growing white grapes. The most frequent grape species is Italian Riesling, Fourmint and hárslevelű (Linden-leaved), furthermore leányka (Young Girl), rizlingszilváni (Riesling-Plummy) and Muscat Ottonel occupy considerable surface areas but Chasselas, giving dessert grapes, are also grown here.
Mezõkövesd owes its tourism attraction not only to the Matyó roots. Many people can remember Zsóry Gyógy- és Strandfürdõ when hearing the name of the town. Due to its excellent healing efficiency, it is mentioned among the first three medicinal baths of Hungary. It received its name from Zsóry Lajos, former High Sheriff in 1939 when he started mineral oil exploration drills at the western border of the town near main road between Budapest and Miskolc.
Instead of oil thermal water broke out from the depth. The thermal water was declared to be medicinal water officially in 1968. This water of 72 °C has the highest sulphur content compared to all the other medicinal waters of Hungary. Several hundred thousands of people experience its healing strength or refresh in the biggest bath of Northern Hungary every year.
Mezõkövesd - Town history
Based on archaeological findings, the location used to be a place where people lived before the conquest of our homeland and the conquerors of the homeland were happy to settle on places where other people had already lived. We can learn from warrants of the 18th century that Kövesd was an abandoned village in 1275 - according to historians, as a consequence of the Tartar (Mongol) invasion. From the 13th century to the start of the 15th century it belonged to the domain of the Diósgyõr castle. In 1450 Hunyadi János and the Czech-Moravian origin mercenary captain, Jan Giskra signed peace here pursuant to which Hungary's most valuable noble metal mines remained in the hands of the mercenary captain. In 1464 King Mátyás ("Mathias") gave the agricultural town rank (oppidum) - together with an armour and stamp - to Mezõkövesd and he strengthened it later at the start of the 1470's. The name Matyó, which characterises three localities (Mezõkövesd, Szentsitván, Tard) is derived by many people from the fondling form of the name of King Mathias.
Certain ethnographic researchers name, named Matyó the Roman Catholic villages of the Reformed region. The patents received from King Mathias were recognised by Ulászló and II. Lajos (Louis the Second) as well. From 1544 the agricultural town belonged to the Turkish thraldom. Mezõkövesd suffered from the Turkish until the end of the thraldom. There were times when the town was almost abandoned, moreover, there were periods when it was completely abandoned. In 1784 Mezokövesd redeemed itself from the Hungarian Treasury. The construction of the Hatvan – Füzesabony – Miskolc train line started in 1861 influenced the town life to a considerable extent because owing to deliveries by the railway the town could be connected to the economy of the country. Starting from the beginning of the 19th century, the peasant plots were subdivided as a consequence of the peasant succession rules and owing to people settling here. Therefore, people, whose own plot did not insure subsistence, became seasonal workers.
The folk art was very successful at the Millenium exposition of Budapest in 1896. The Matyó folk art became more well-known here as well. A characteristic Matyó house could be found in the Ethnographic Village of the Millennium Exposition and the so-called Matyó wedding was also presented then. In 1939 hot water was found on the land of Zsóry Lajos when oil was explored and in 1940 already a pool received people that wished to bathe. The true development of the bath started in the 1970's. It has been developing continuously since then and by this, it has brought fame and economic development to Mezõkövesd. Nowadays, Mezõkövesd plays an influential role in the region. Individual farmers and enterprises have been established mainly in agriculture and trade.